Proust Seminar with Dr. Mark Calkins
Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time (also known in English as Remembrance of Things Past) is a monumental, seven-volume novel that Edmund White calls, "the most respected novel of the twentieth century." SFSU Professor of Comparative & World Literature, Mark Calkins has led the Proust Seminar at the Mechanics' Institute Library since 2001. In September 2019, the Seminar continues with the fifth volume of the novel, The Captive & The Fugitive.
- The group meets on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month from 5:30pm to 6:30pm at Mechanics' Institute.
- This semester will begin on September 11, 2019, and end February 26, 2020.
- Registration is open to all.
- Mechanics' Institute members pay $70 for each 5-month session;
- Members of the public pay $100.
- This cycle, Dr. Calkins will use the Modern Library edition of The Captive & The Fugitive. However, any translation is acceptable.
For questions about registration, contact Myles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-857-6721. For questions about curriculum please contact Dr. Calkins at .