Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time (also known in English as Remembrance of Things Past) is a monumental, seven-volume novel that Edmund White calls, “the most respected novel of the twentieth century.” SFSU Professor of Comparative & World Literature, Mark Calkins has led the Proust Seminar at the Mechanics' Institute Library since 2001. In March 2018, the Seminar continues with the second volume of the novel, In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower.
- The group meets on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month from 5:30pm to 6:30pm at Mechanics’ Institute.
- This semester will begin on March 28, 2018 and end July 25, 2018.
- Registration is open to all.
- Mechanics' Institute members pay $70 for each 5-month session;
- Members of the public pay $100.
- This cycle, Dr. Calkins will use William Carter's revised translation of In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower, published by Yale University Press. However, any translation is acceptable.